Friday, March 24, 2006

L.O.V.E.


I'm not sure why I don't read these devotionals more often but I did today and was very glad I did. Read it yourself and you'll see why.

Living By Your New Nature
This devotional was written by Jim Liebelt

But I tell you, "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you in order that you may be sons of your Father in heaven.".— Matthew 5:44-45 (NIV)



The story has been told of a man who while hiking in a desert, stumbled upon a rattlesnake that had become hopelessly wedged between a boulder and some limbs from a fallen tree. The man decided to save the rattlesnake, but in the process the snake tried to bite him. The man tried to free the snake a second time. Again, the snake tried to bite the man. Finally, on the third attempt the man succeeded in freeing the snake. And still, the snake coiled and attempted to strike its liberator. The man’s companion, who had observed from a safe distance, asked the man why he continued to risk himself to free the snake. The man responded, “The snake was attempting to strike because that is its nature. My nature is to love. Should I cease to love because the snake attempts to strike?”

Jesus demonstrated this same concept – a commitment to living by his own nature regardless of another’s nature - when he gave his life to die on our behalf. Hebrews 12:3 instructs us to “Consider Him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.” The call of the Christ-follower is the call to live our lives following Jesus’ example and based on our new nature as God’s children. We are called to love and serve, regardless of the opposition or persecution we face from others.


Today, will you love even when others attempt to strike?


It definetly gives you something to think about. I know I was thinking.

4 comments:

Ginger Ale said...

Hey ashley...
good post.
I find it hard to love those who persecute, something for me to work on!

Ashley said...

I agree.. its definetly hard.

As for lving fellow christians who are doing the persecuting, that seems even worse. Our fellow christians are supposed to build us up not tear us down. I guess you just have to love anyways. It's our nature to love and no matter what thats what we're called to do. It's hard and I don't understand how its even possible sometimes... We just have to ask God to fill us up with his love for others because its not something we can do on our own.

Ashley said...

Its actually not in a book, its from www.homeword.com. Remember that devotional that Joanne sent us quite a while back? I clicked on it and put myself on the mailing list so I get one everyday. I don't read it everyday unfortunatly but whenever I do read it I'm glad I did.

You should check them out, they're pretty sweet.
<3

Brent, the one and only, unless your name is Brent said...

I didn't read the post but I love Xena.

-Brent